


I AM GOING TO GHANA YALL!!!! Woo hoo!!! Im going home, finally! Im goin to talk about this till Im there and even then....Im blogging about it. Pics pics and mo pics. I have endured 6 mos of unemployment, and continuous dissappointment in the application process that has made me doubt myself and my potential. ENOUGH! I am going to Ghana next month with my ma and my cuz for a month! This is about renewal and rejuvination. I want to come back having taken knowledge with me to push forward in what I want to do. Im all about learning excursions while Im there. Language, culture, sights, history, Defnitely the ARTS! This is a month of immersion and reflection that Im in such need of.
Ive noticed a change in me since I stopped working and it is just not the ME that I want to be. Ive always been a hard worker, thats how I raised and thats just what I had to do. And to go from working to nothing...it was like I hit a wall. I still tried to keep buy with my jewelry and my artwork but, in the back of my head was the fact that this isnt steady pay and you have bills. For me, I am comfortable when I know my finances are in order. I dont care if I have $10 in my pocket and nothing else, if my bills are paid, Im comfortable. And thats all Im asking for in this life, is to be comfortable. Im not materialistic, dont like drama...Im a simple lady. But now, Im stressed all the time, Im not writing...except for this blog. Poetry has alway been my heart. Since I was like 6 or 7 writing one line poems or ridiculous stories (fast forward to my status updates) Aww man, when words just move you and you can sit and write for hours at a time...omg! Its such a release. I cant remember the last time I did that, and this is not cool at all.
So end of next month I will be out of here. Im excited and a little anxiety is in the mix too. It's funny how other American born Africans can relate to apprehension about going back home. For me, I am proud to be a Ghanaian. I was raised by two parents who always said...I dont care if you are here, remember that you are a Ghanaian first". Those were the values I grew up with. The traditions, the way in which we show respect, the ways in which we behave at home and in public, I grew up with that ingrained in me. That is what makes ME a Ghanaian. No, I wasnt raised to be fluent, my folks werent home as much to share this gift with us. But that's ok. Knowledge is always accessible. And I will achieve my goal of mastering twi. My parents worked hard for me and my sister to have what they felt we needed. Language is important, but when I think back on how they sacrificed for me, I cant help but be moved...I have nothing but respect for them. Im so sick of this separation of who's more African than other Africans. I know what I am and no one can tell me different. Talk about me in twi and I will find someone to translate and teef suck right back at ya like the best of them. lol. Dont play with me!
So eff what ya heard, act like ya know...this Ghanaba is going home. May positivity, progress and wisdom be on my path on this journey.
Oh and its bout to get ridiculous. Im goin to get so equatorial black...you aren't gonna know Im here till I blink! Im so serious. Im not tanning Im going shadowing. Im jut sayin...





2 comments:
yay! i'm so happy for you....and sooo jealous. any chance of you sneaking me in yr suitcase?-LOL. i have a similar experience where people say i'm not Guyanese b/c i was born here. but some cultures don't have that--a 10th generation Puerto Rican gets no flack for saying they're Puerto Rican. same with Italians. same with Asians. what's that about?
I was looking at the photos you posted up and it brought back memories. If you haven't done so, do the suspension bridge walk at Kakoom National Park. I walked the walk and it was slightly a traumatic, heart racing experience for me, yet all worth it. I laugh about it now.
Post a Comment