

So Im
Two months into my big chop and I came to a conclusion I already knew from jump... I HATE SHORT HAIR!!! On me that is. I am still glad I did it because my hair wasnt happy. It was always shiny and healthy looking...then all of a sudden it looked dull and dry no matter how much water I drank, or how much I changed up my diet...I was like, enough. But there is nothing to do with it. Part of the joy of locs is after they loc up you really just need to keep them clean and moisturized and they look good. But now I have to twist up my short do so I dont look crazy. Nappy is a beautiful thing but my hair is like 2 different textures. The ends get all frizzy and kinky, which is optimal for the fro I would like to have but, from the root to just before the ends, it like Last of the Mohicans. Too freakin soft and straight. My fro just lays down, I got weak ass rebellion hair. Im so ashamed. Four score and 29 years ago. Wait what is four score? Is that a way of saying months? If it is it messes up my whole count. Ok, scratch that 29 years ago...a sun drenched baby was born with a full head of hair and never looked back. My hair was natural up until I was about 10. My sister was 13 and getting her hair relaxed, switching in left and right and I was so freakin green. Im a scorpio, cant help it. So I begged and pleaded with my mother to let me relax my hair. Mind you, my hair was natural and down my back...but the devil is so strong. Every time I smelled that lye, I was like a crack head (scatch scratch) I NEED THE STUFF MAN!!! So my mother gave in and I got my hair relaxed. This was the first and only time in my life Ive been to the salon. Im serious. Other than my mother, I really dont like people in my hair.
You would think Im skipping thru meadows tossing my hair and riding horses on the beach right? NOPE. The sleek relaxed look didnt last after the salon either. I was putting dishes away from the dishwasher and the steam made my hair go Chaka...Chaka Khan, Chaka...Chaka Khan. And no matter how much I wrapped it and tried to smooth it. It went BIG and stayed there. In addition to the interesting texture, little by little I watched my hair break off like a sick little tree's branches. My ma's "I told you so look", didnt help the situation either.
My hair has been short before, at 11 I chopped all my hair off to cut that horrid poison out of my hair. It actually didnt look so bad. But Im older now and my head is just big. And the short hair doesnt so much say sleek sophistication, it says look at the short hair on her big ass head. For now all I can do is grit my teeth and wait for it to grow out.
I miss locs! I have loc envy like you wouldnt believe and sometimes I ask myself, did I make a mistake, did I jump the gun in choppin my mane? But I always tell myself if you felt so strongly about it, then it was for a reason. Hair grows...so chill out. I am questioning whether or not to put the locs back in. I started my locs when my hair was long and they still looked short. Not really feeling the short locs so Im gonna see how I feel in 2 mos. I turn (gulp) 30, 2 mos and the thought has crossed my mind to treat myself to the salon where I can let a pro get at my do. But each month Im looking at how my hair is growing, its kinda cool. I had a fro before I loc'd up but it was mad frizzy and unhealthy. My hair is growing in kinda nice so wondering how it would look all big and all ova. The only thing is that the texture is a lil weird...makin me want to go on ancestry.com and see whats REALLY goins ons. Im just sayin...





0 comments:
Post a Comment