Sunday, October 31, 2010

Loc me up and throw away the comb!


Yesterday I was on my way home from "the fields" and I got on the train. Saw this lovely older black woman...who I could tell was older but still looked freakin amazing. Anyway, I couldnt help staring at her locs and felt compelled to tell her, I love your locs. She had these long waist length locs that were curled in these huge ringlets and just looked so beautiful.(I need to start carrying my camera with me) I cut my locs in May and ever since, Ive had the worst loc envy. I have had mixed feelings about my Big Chop. I told the lady that i had dreams about cutting my hair and my hair being cut. She told me that wasnt a sign sista, that was an evil spirit trying to get you to cut your hair, to cut your power. I was like, you think? I never thought of a sign as being a negative persuasion. But what she was saying...made me think. And I was like DAMMIT! Foiled again by my subconscious! Eh...hair grows so...no regrets.

She was telling me how she had a friend who was her loctician for years and moved away suddenly, leaving her with no one to care for her hair, since then she has had the worst luck with locticians. Ultimately she decided to do her research and care for her locs on her own.
Coincidentally, this lady and I had the same hair texture, the kind that is difficult to loc because its really soft and fine. Her locs were waist length and she said she still has curls at the ends and some are still a lil loose. I told her how Im still on the fence about growing my locs out again or just letting my fro grow out. The lady was like naw sis, you should grow them out, I think you would look really nice with locs...they would frame your face real nice.

Argh! Now Im all...What do I do? On the one hand...I love locs, but I felt I didnt have that much versatility with mine. What? It wasnt my fault! Ok...I probably didnt put forth the effort to get them "done up" but whatever...not the point. Then there's the fro. My fro was big and outta control and I loved it! But the versatility was a factor as well. Im not a sit in the hair salon kinda lady. Ive been to the salon once in my life. I just dont have the patience for it. Sitting hours on end to get your hair "did" and then the cost is even worse. And I have the worst case of frizz ever. Its not cute. even if I try to do the curly fro...it just spazzes out at the least bit of moisture. Even when I had the relaxer as a kid. my hair was never bone straight. Ugh. (spits at the ground for relaxers) My hair was never relaxed looking. That shyt looked stressed the phuck out.

In the end...the woman had me swayed. Just the way she was open to conversation about it and what she had to say, I really appreciate her input. She wasnt like an evangelist for locs, anything. Ive met those. The ones that think Im goin to some rasta hell for cutting my hair. Umm..yea. Ive met those kinda people. To them...I just walk away mid sentence like "I yam tiyahd of yo mouf oh. Ahh! Shuttup yo mouf! You talky talky too moch, I beg!" This lady was merely pro locs and told me that she had cut her locs 3 times prior and said no more, she has regretted it everytime.'

I plan on doing my research this time before I make the decision. Figure out what methods will work best for the process, what products would work best for my hair condition, the best maintenance...the whole nine. We shall see, there's no rush. But I am getting a lil annoyed with my short fro, not much I can do with it but twist it up and...i dont wanna. Unfortunately the lady that "shaped" my fro for my big chop was cock eyed and cut me crooked. Im rockin the Nipsy Russell (before THE WIZ money kicked in) fro right now.I have different lengths all over. Its not cute when its picked out which is why I opt for the twist and go. I miss the loc days when I could just go!

Im gonna give it a little while to grow but I dont want too much hair to shed. Who knows...just as I picked up a scissors out of no where...I just might get to twisting my mane and cant stop. Im just sayin...

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment