Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ghana 2010: Day 1


Aight. Ive been sleepin on my blog so Im gonna type in what Ive been writing in my journal now.

Well the trip started off not so good. We got to O'hare airport and got ready to check in. My cousin failed to bring her marriage and divorce certificate. And because the name on her ticket is different from her passport...they said no go. I felt bad cuz she was so geeked to go home after 5 yrs.

SIDENOTE: While I am writing this there is a man sitting across from me @ the Amsterdam gate to Accra. The air keeps wafting in my direction and Im like wtf is that smell? So immediately I look down cuz the aroma...has to be feet. Smells like 2 yr old Fritos you find in the couch when you are about to move to a new apt. and hot neck rolls. Seriously my dude??? Then you have the nerve to take OFF your shoes. Keep that funkocity to yourself.

Anyway, we were supposed to be checked in @ O'hare by 430 so going back to WI to get her info was outta the question being that it was 2p and Madison is 3 hrs away. After standing around for like an 1hr. I was like, we have to go. Im sorry but if she had spent more time worrying about self and not packing more merchandise to sell, probably wouldnt have had that issue. But whateva, still hoping she gets to Ghana safely.

The flight hmm...was an experience. I know I have hips and thighs but KLM...whats with the close seats? Even the tiny lady next to us was complaining she was uncomfortable. Those were 13 of the most uncomfortable hours of my life. Luckily the 2nd leg of the trip I fell asleep.

The plane started to descend into Accra and I see the temp on the flight status screen go up, Im like errr...simultaneously lookin at the sweatshirt I have on. Wth? Its 8p why is it 87 degrees?? Anyways, the bullshit didnt end there. We get to customs and are allowed because the address we will be staying at is not complete. Are you serious? Are you gonna come over and cheq that Im at this address? I was tryin to tell my ma on the sly to just give any address. I live at 411 Nunya Blvd! She wont know.

SIDENOTE: For any future travelers, if they ask to keep your passport for some bullshit reason. SAY NO! They are known for taking passports and not giving them back. Always stay with your passport.

Now, at this point, Im tired. Im thinking we are going home. NOPE! We have to go visit family members. Im like what? we are here 2 mos. If we come tomorrow is that detrimental? But we are headed to my aunts house anyway. 20 yrs ago when we stayed with my aunt there were no shower facilities or toilet. Flash 20 yrs foward...still none. I'll be holding it. Anyway, we walk in the living room and there seated are 10-12 of my family members but umm...what's with the mean mugs?? Seriously the only one that got up to hug my ma was her sister. The rest looked like so the **** what! Like Bernie Mac says..."Everyone know what that look mean". We stayed there for way too long and finally got to go to the house we were staying at. Now, before we came I was told that the house we had would have everything. Internet access, toilet, showers. Umm. (knock, knock) Must be the wrong house CUZ THAT AINT HERE! Great! NOT again. Nothing against the village but I did that already. Wanted to see a side of Ghana I havent before. Plus, living so far in the cut, its hard to get transportation. Trying to be positive...but not lookin like sunshine. Im just sayin...




Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Ghana greeted you with some surprises. Its good you still kept your humor. ;) - look forward to reading the excitement in the next post. Chin up.

Post a Comment